Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 85...some observations

Here we are with 5 days to go and I just have a few observations that I want to blog about

Workouts:  The first set has gotten easy, the last set, super hard.   When we started I struggled thru all the sets, but could generally do all prescribed reps with reasonable form.  Somewhere around the middle all the sets were tough, and I whimpered across the finish line with atrocious form if I even made it to the finish line.  Now the first set of any exercise...it's a breeze, some times the 2nd set is just as easy, I start wondering if I should do more than the max, then the 3rd and 4th sets start to wear me down while the 5th and 6th sets are killers.   I think this means my muscles are 1) stronger and 2) getting worn the hell out...both of which are awesome. 

Food:  I can see how I am going to sustain this for the rest of my life, I can use honey over sugar any time now, I love the fruit snacks, I don't even mind a glass of milk with a raw egg in the morning and evening. I don't miss big carbo overloads, I don't miss sweets or even deep fried animal parts.  Sure I miss booze and I'll be drinking that again, and I won't be counting every gram, and I will be eating out again, but I see now how this is sustainable with just a little bit on conscious effort, and that is awesome

Body Temp:  I'm cold...often.  It's winter of course, but I used to be sweating under all the blankets at night even in the dead of winter, now I am freezing if I don't cover up.  My extremities in particular get cold easy, and they take a while to warm up....have you looked at your fingers closely?  Mine are a lot thinner than when we started, and I think the loss of body fat is definitely playing a part in my body being cold more often than not...and that is not so awesome on the cold thing, but awesome on the body fat being down side

Health:  5 days left so I don't want to jinx anything, but I have been pretty energized the last 90 days, I am sleeping better, I've stopped snoring, headaches I used to get 1-2x a week, I don't get any more, that awful pain in my upper back right below my neck from sitting and staring at a computer 10hrs a day is gone, it hasn't bothered me in almost 2 months now, I didn't get sick even when those around me were battling colds.  I don't think I have had three months of such consistent good health in a long long time, and that is awesome    Going to get a yearly physical on Day 91 and see what the internal parts are doing, very curious to see what my cholesterol looks like. 

Metabolism:  This is my suspicion and not based in anything factual, but I am hungry about every 90-120mins after I feel full.  Sometimes the meals are too much, I trim the carbs, or maybe force down a couple bites which I won't do when we are done, but trying to stick to it 100% until the end.  But even when that last bite feels like a rock going down, within a short period of time I want something to eat...so I have to chalk that up to my metabolism working a lot faster than it used to.

Body:   The abs are a sort of 4 pack now with the right flex and light, not exactly what I want but certainly better than it has been since I turned 25, my shoulders and upper body is lean and fit, it is hard to miss the definition in my back now, the difference between day 1 and day 85 is most noticeable there.    My legs are an area I never worked out, call it vanity, or that I thought I got enough of a workout with some exercise bike work to warm up and walking a lot, but the jump rope and leg exercises have shown me that even a dude with skinny legs can get them in a good shape and add a lot of muscle, it's my least favorite area to work on, but one that I intend to keep improving when this ends.

All of you on PCP with me: we are almost all done and everyone is still here, and everyone looks great, and the blogs worked, the support system worked, the program worked, and while most of you are still have faces only a mother could love, it matters less now cause your bodies look awesome.

Patrick:  In a word....Awesome.

4 comments:

  1. Dude I am digging through your posts to find the most whinny, depressing and utterly whimpy blog post you had, and I want you to print it and post it right next to this one.

    I dont want to say congrats before its 100% complete, but I cant tell you how AWESOME your post is! BEST OF THE YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go back and read Day 35 post! You gotta go through that valley ne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. J Blo. Great, great post man. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long time since - bring back my dinners damit!

    ReplyDelete