Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 48 - Progress?

I posted my day 48 photos, trying to be objective knowing that the changes might be so slight that they are unnoticeable to my eyes on a day to day basis, I was expecting to see some difference between my day 38 shots and day 48 shots and I did, but not the way I wanted.  Maybe I am wrong, but I think the day 38 shot looks fitter than day 48, as if I have reverted or something recently.  This visceral fat isn't getting any smaller, and it feels like the lower to mid back areas are just as full of fat pockets as they were when I started.  

Wondering if I am doing something wrong or if it is just my body type.   I am keeping to the PCP diet, mostly brown rice, pasta, some whole wheat bagels and bread are my go to carbs.  I may be using more olive oil than most, my veggies tend to be raw, sauteed, or grilled in that order, with the steamed variety coming in a close 4th, perhaps I am having too many potatos (sweet and regular)?   Protein, all chicken outside of the milk and eggs.  No salt, sugar (using honey in the dinner shake), nothing processed.    I am using cheese on occasion, but in tiny amounts so don't think I am straying too far from the prescribed course, still I am waiting for more visible results.

Workouts are tough, I am skipping rope first thing in the morning on weekends now, it is a struggle at first, but after about 5mins my body wakes up and I get into it.   The strength part is a lot more of a challenge now, doubling up on muscle groups means I am almost always unable to finish the final set.  Shoulders in particular are tough, I usually make it thru 2 of the 4 sets with good form, the 3rd is a struggle and by the 4th I get about halfway thru and my muscles can barely function.  Have been taking Patrick's advice to really focus on the muscle group I am working and it has made a big difference in the ability (inability) to finish all the sets.  On the abs...oh the plank is starting to really suck, but the bicycle is still the bane of my existence, I hate that one, it isn't even the abs, but my legs, I can't hold them up for the life of me by the middle of the 3rd set.   And the new Kung Fu sit ups...is anyone else swinging all over the place on those?  I think it is the pull up bar I have at home, the way it fits in the door from is not conducive to those sit ups, will see how it goes at the gym this week

All in all though I feel better than about a week ago when I was really dragging...still some visible results would have helped reinforce things as we move into the 2nd half of the program.   Maybe I need to get better at photoshop? 

3 comments:

  1. dude - you were less out of shape than most of us when we started this, so it seems natural to me that you may not see the magnitude on the results as some of us with a lot more fat and mass have. Still, I see a noticeable difference between days 36 and 48.

    I have had trouble as well finishing all of the sets this week, and didn't even sniff 60 secs of plank or even 40 of bicycle. A lot of the exercises (sans legs and shoulders) are going to failure for me.

    On the diet, too bad you don't eat fish. I have probably eaten more seafood in the last 48 days, then I did in the previous 10 years, and have actually enjoyed it. live a little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring up the two photos side by side and you can see the TRUTH. Look at the contour lines on the side of your body from the armpit to your shorts. Now where is the bulge on Day 36 vs. Day 48? Do you see now? The bulge on Day 36 is much lower, the old "spare tire" area. BUT that extra fat had the effect of making the pelvis notch and latisimus back muscle appear to be more dramatically sloping. Basically, a trick of the eye. Look again and don't doubt the physics here. There's really no way you could be gaining fat on the diet your on with the exercise you're doing. You'd have to be defying some conservation of energy laws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lot like how I was feeling two weeks ago, and Patrick was right, it did pass. And he's also right about the difference in your pictures - it IS there. It might be hard for you to see small changes at this point... give it a week and see how you feel, instead of trying to compare day to day.

    ReplyDelete