Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 53- 55 Indulgence and back pain...

Right so indulgence...I didn't really have a strong craving for anything, what I find I am really missing is the flexibility that comes from being able to eat out, or get take out.  It's really less about the food, which I don't mind, even the shake dinners aren't terrible, but it is the hassle of prepping it all, and the rigidity, in particular when I am tired.   I want to grab take out on the way home after a long day at the office, I don't want to prep my meals for the next 3~4 days.  That is the real headache for me, not the lack of a certain food, as I said, not really craving much, but craving a bit more time to just relax, and it'd be nice to have a dinner out, or even Indian take out on a night when I have no energy to cook.   All that said, I can see striking a balance between the two once this is done, probably maintaining a 50/50 split between eating as I am now and mixing in some brunch/lunch and dinners out.  Certainly keep up the snacks (speaking of which am choking down the AM egg...not pleasant but getting the protein). 
In the end my indulgence was a bit uneventful...I went with my old standby boneless wings and fries, and then I topped the day off with a few pints of beer amongst friends.  As I was making the meal (which I had for lunch) I noticed that it really wasn't terrible.  It's chicken coated with PCP approved spice, lightly pan fried in a tiny bit of olive oil, the sauce is probably not great as it has Tabasco and sesame oil in it, but total amount is probably 1/8 cup.  Fries are handmade and not deep fried, I also use canola oil and don't salt them, so while it isn't great, I am not sure it's awful on occasion.  I used a bit of blue cheese and low fat yogurt (canned the sour cream) as a dip...also realized the meal had no carbs (well, potatoes, but that is veg here).  So maybe I could have gone a bit more crazy with the food side of things, but frankly was what I wanted, and tasted GOOD.   The beer, oh frosty the adult libation, my GOD I have missed you!   Went to the Harajuku Taproom, home to Bairdbeer.com (check it out people), only a 3x gold medal winner at the 2010 world beer championships.   Had some fall seasonals on tap...I think I may have cried a little into my final half pint.  Surprisingly felt just a bit buzzed, not at all drunk, and felt fine the next morning...got up and skipped rope first thing.

Workouts are going along all right, my back still a huge pain...literally.   Am really struggling with anything ab related, but particularly with the leg lifts, v-sits and kung fu sit ups, I think that I damaged the lower back doing the leg lifts last week, really not great, but I am managing to get thru the workouts and other than the aforementioned ab related exercises, the back isn't an issue.  I really gotta stretch out more. 

Hmmm, think that is it for now.

35 days to go...doesn't sound like much at all.

5 comments:

  1. The stretching part is key I think, and sadly for you, a lot of things I read about building a strong lower back require, you got it, SIT UPS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. taproom was great. thanks for arranging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The convenience thing is killer. I'm still cooking about 50% and enjoying it much more than when I was cooking everything. Only another few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making ME miss beer! I really hope your back starts feeling better soon. Stretch for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good indulgence! High quality foods won't make you feel awful, as you have just found.

    Once you get back into regular life you'll be able to judge when something is worth the caloric hit and when you'd rather just pass and eat healthy.

    Most people don't even realize they have a choice.

    ReplyDelete